You can now receive email notifications when new articles are posted to this website!
Find the “Subscribe to Open-ESL.org News / Updates via email” section on the informational “sidebar” (This is the area with white lettering on a black background. On your desktop, it should be at the left side of the screen. On a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the bottom of the screen.)
Just enter your email address in the box, and press the “subscribe” button. You will receive a confirmation email before the subscription becomes active. From that email message, click the “Confirm Follow” button/link.
Once you confirm the subscription, you may be redirected to the “WordPress” subscription/account page. You DO NOT need to set up a WordPress account for your subscription to work!
As always, please let me know if you encounter any difficulties with the subscription process.
There are two audio file “repositories” accessible from within the Kiosk itself. One holds over twenty “ready-made” audio files that a teacher can freely use. The other holds all files that teachers using the Kiosk have loaded using the USB flash drive. These stay in the repository, even after the teacher has removed them from the class’s set of active files.
Documentation on how to use the repositories can be accessed from the Kiosk Documentation web page. Both web and PDF versions of the document are available.
For your convenience, here is a direct link: http://www.open-esl.org/Kiosk/Documentation/LoadingFromRepositories.html
By the way, this new document page should display well on both desktops and mobile devices such as SmartPhone. Please let me know how that works for you!
As always, be sure to report any problems with the documentation, including any needed corrections!
This site- WWW.Open-ESL.org/NewsUpdates is ready and open for business! You can check this site for updates on Kiosk software, and Sandbox content.
This site automatically adapts to different screen sizes, so it should be just as readable on your SmartPhone as on your computer screen! Set a bookmark!
You can also subscribe to “news” from this site using an RSS feed. For more information on that, see the link “Subscribe to News / Updates with RSS” on the menu.
December 15, 2014: Kiosk Version 3.12 released
- Provides for display/management of up to 99 classes. (Previously no more than 9 classes could be handled)
- Added error handling when updating Kiosk application from within the application. Now if an error occurs, it is clearly reported. This includes instances where there is a corrupt file that is determined by the checksum. Note that this new error handling will NOT be in place as this version is installed, because the update process will use the installer from the previous version.
- Bug fix: Fixed a second instance of a message that showed variable names instead of values.
November 17, 2014: Kiosk Version 3.12 released
- Streamlined display of files in Master-Files directory
- Streamlined display of files on Student MP3 device
- Changed logic for handling audio file writes: No longer uses temporary files to hold file lists.
November 8, 2014: Kiosk Version 3.11 released
- Added repository directory to hold all files loaded via USB drive for local classes.
- Added silent copy process to gather those audio files for local classes repository
- Added capability through advanced menu to copy files from local classes repository to a class’s current master file area.
- Added utility to facilitate bulk update multiple student mp3 player devices of the “class”.
- Enabled functionality for quick combined creation of new classes and the “export” of those classes to USB drives. This is to aid program administrators who need to set up classes for teachers.
- Added Macintosh-specific code to enable Linux-like messaging when scrolling large files. This has been implemented for the review of the GNU General Public License text both at installation/update and from the Advanced Administration menu. Mac users will now have the same “hints” available as other users.